Welcome to the inaugural Travel Expert Writing Competition
First of all this competition is Free To Enter and offers a cash prize to the author of the best entry (to be judged by the editors of TravelExpert.org.uk).
We are pleased to announce the winner of our inaugural writing competition is:
‘Perfecting the Art of Throwing Yourself at the Ground and Missing It’ by Mikaela Nyman
Well done, Mikaela! You can read the winning entry right HERE.
We are seeking the best travel writers to send us exciting, original, even abstract travel writing in any form you choose: fiction or non-fiction, poetry or prose. The only requirement is that your piece of writing presents a real sense of the location in which it is set.
The contest is open to those aged 18 years and older and you may write about any subject, as along as it relates to travel in some way (however tenuous).
Entries should be limited to a maximum length of 1500 words and must be written in English (we’ve travelled a fair bit but our language skills are embarrassingly poor!).
Please read the full Travel Expert Writing Competition Terms and Conditions (located at the foot of the page) before entering. The closing date for entries is midnight on Thursday, 1st May 2014,
The winning entry will receive a prize of £50!
The winning entry – and other notable entries – will also be published on our website.
When you are ready to submit your entry, please fill in and submit the form below. If you’d rather check out what others are writing about, take a little journey around our site to read some of the travel articles we have published recently.
1. The Travel Expert Writing Competition 2014 is open to residents of any country who are aged 18 years or over, except employees of DB Sporting Enterprises Ltd, their families, agents or anyone else associated with this competition. Previous freelance contributors to TravelExpert.org.uk may enter.
2. All information detailing how to enter forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the entrant agrees to abide by these rules. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Entries must be submitted through the form on the TravelExpert.org.uk website.
4. All entries must be received by midnight on the published closing date of the 1st May 2014. Late entries will be deleted.
5. To participate in this competition, entrants must write an article, story or poem relating to travel of no more than 1500 words. Entries must be the work of the submitting individual and must not have been published elsewhere (online or in print) or have won a prize in any other competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that no element of their entry infringes the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entries will be judged on which are the most original, entertaining and interesting.
6. The judging panel will be comprised of members the TravelExpert.org.uk Editorial Team. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
7. Copyright in all submissions to the competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in order to allow publication on the website of the winning entry and any other notable entries, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to DB Sporting Enterprises Ltd for their entry to be published on the website TravelExpert.org.uk. All published articles will contain a credit to the author.
8. No entries will be published in part or in full on TravelExpert.org.uk prior to the closing date of the competition (1st May 2014).
9. By entering the competition you are granting permission for (credited) publication on TravelExpert.org.uk after the deadline has passed as either a winner or notable entry (if judged as either) as detailed under these terms and conditions.
10. Incomplete or incomprehensible entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
11. The winning entry will be published on TravelExpert.org.uk within 28 days of the closing date of the competition.
12. The winning entrant will receive £50, with prize money to be paid in British Pounds Sterling. Payments may be made by bank transfer to a UK bank account or by PayPal (any fees will be subtracted from the prize money).
13. The Editorial staff of TravelExpert.org.uk may contact entrants prior to the competition closing date if they would like to offer the chance to write for the website. This contact would be by email. Entrants would have no obligation to write for the website, and any such decision would not prejudice the outcome of the competition.
14. The editorial staff of TravelExpert.org.uk are responsible for the publication and adjudication of this competition. Provision of the prizes is the responsibility of DB Sporting Enterprises Ltd trading as TravelExpert.org.uk.
Check out our feature on Digitisation: The Future – and Present – of Travel …
Fancy a Baltic Short Breaks in one of the capital cities of Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius? Find out what each has to offer and which to pick right here.
Vietnam is just the war, beaches and friendly people? Wrong! Check out our fascinating facts about Vietnam you probably didn’t know …
A trip through the Rockies, taking in Yellowstone, the Glacier National Park, Grand Teton National Park and more as Ken Langley details his latest trip.
Christmas is coming so check out these great winter markets …